Strawberry Rhubarb Compote (AIP)



In some ways, this detox has forced me to re-think a lot of what I do in the kitchen. I consider myself to be pretty resourceful in the kitchen.  Take away an ingredient and I’m usually able to find a suitable substitution.  No gluten? I’ll replace flour with a gluten free version. No grains at all? I’ll use a nut flour. No sugar? Find a more natural sweetener (never the artificial stuff). No dairy? there are plenty of alternative milks available. No eggs? I’ll use pumpkin puree or applesauce or a banana or flax seed. But take grains, eggs, dairy, nuts/seeds, AND sugar? I might be a little stumped to concoct a dessert. It isn’t impossible--my creativity just must be stretched even further.


I have had to think outside of traditional “baked goods” and move more into the category of frozen desserts & custards that can be made with coconut milk and without eggs & fruity desserts--things that more heavily rely on the refrigerator/freezer and the stove top. The longer I go without sugar, the less my body craves it & the more my tastebuds recognize the tiniest bit of sweetness from fruit.


When it comes to rhubarb, I’m quite often a purist. The rhubarb pie and rhubarb sauce I grew up eating didn’t fall into the strawberry rhubarb category. When I found organic rhubarb in the store, I really wanted to create a rhubarb dessert that is friendly to my detox guidelines, however, since rhubarb is seriously tart, a sugar free just rhubarb dessert was not going to be successful (i.e. edible).


Ripe strawberries have an excellent naturally sweet flavor & they do pair well with rhubarb.  Organic Unfiltered Apple Juice makes up the remaining sweetness.  I combined the three ingredients, cooked them together until the fruit broke down, much of the liquid evaporated & the flavors intensified.


The amounts I give in the recipe are more like guidelines--there isn’t as much science to this recipe as there is to a cake. I use roughly 1 part sliced rhubarb to 2 parts hulled very ripe strawberries to 1 part unfiltered apple juice, but it can certainly be adapted to personal preferences. Do note that this compote will (most likely) taste tart to someone who is eating sugar on a daily basis...


On a more everyday basis, I spoon compote over some unsweetened coconut yogurt, but as a treat, it’s also a great topping to coconut ice cream.


Strawberry Rhubarb compote 

3.4 oz Organic Rhubarb, sliced
6.75 oz Organic Strawberries, sliced
4 oz Organic unfiltered Apple Juice, plus more if necessary

  1. Combine in a small sauce pan. Heat over medium heat for 35 minutes min. Stir occasionally, but increase stirring amount towards the end of cooking. 
  2. Remove from heat & taste a small amount. If the compote isn’t sweet enough, add a couple more oz of apple juice. Cook until the liquid has reduced, stirring occasionally. 
  3. Remove the pan from the heat & transfer the compote to a separate container. Cool completely. 
  4. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. 
  5. To serve, spoon over coconut yogurt or coconut ice cream.