Waffle Weekend: Vanilla Bean Waffle Doughnuts



Every once and a while, we have an “aha!” moment.... Looking at things in a different context that we previously have.  Inventing a new purpose for something.... Imagination and resourcefulness are wonderful things!


Several months ago, while having friends over for dinner, our conversation turned to doughnuts and the never-ending he never-ending debate of what kind of doughnuts are better: cake doughnuts or yeast-raised doughnuts.  Personally, I tend to prefer the flavor  & texture of the yeast-raised doughnut, but when I’m the one making the doughnuts, cake doughnuts are much less time consuming.


Once I overcame my fear of deep frying several years ago, I truly do not mind frying things--I just really, really hate how the smell permeates entire spaces.  And when you live in a small apartment, it’s even worse.  I know that baked doughnuts are an option, but I don’t have a doughnut pan, nor am I really interested in investing in one for the few times I year I would use it....


In the days following our dinner party, the doughnut conversation stayed fresh in my I had one of those “aha!” moments--inspiration hit me! I didn’t feel like frying doughnuts. I do not have a doughnut pan. I also don’t have one of those mini doughnut-baking-devices either.  But I do have a waffle iron! Why not try "baking" doughnuts on a waffle iron instead? 


I found one of my favorite cake doughnut recipes & whipped up a small batch.  Once the dough was mixed, I scooped tablespoons of it onto the pre-heated waffle iron.  I not-so-patiently waited for the iron to beep the alarm that the cooking cycle was done.  Once the first testers were “baked,” I couldn’t wait to give them a try.  While the end product may not have looked like the traditional doughnut, but the flavor & texture was spectacular. And the work to get to the final doughnuts was really minimal (no frying oil or oven to pre-heat). We at them so quickly that I didn’t even get a photo!


Fast forward to this past weekend.  It was Saturday morning & I was trying to decide what to make us for breakfast.  I was looking through my Pinterest boards, trying to find inspiration.  I came across my pin for Melissa Coleman’s Baked Vanilla Bean Doughnut recipe, and I knew I had just had to try them on the waffle maker!


Oh my goodness, they were positively amazing! I, personally, loved the glazed version, but husband really enjoyed the ones dusted in confectioners sugar (he dipped some of them in homemade peach jam).  I can foresee many, many more batches of these “doughnuts” for our future weekend breakfasts.  


Vanilla Bean Waffle Doughnuts
adapted from The Faux Martha 
Yields approximately 24 mini "doughnuts" 

Doughnut Base
3 Tbl Butter, melted 
1 c Jeanne’s AP GF flour mix  (or substitute 1/2 c AP flour and 1/2 c Whole Wheat flour)
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 c Sugar
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1/8 tsp Nutmeg, freshly grated
2 Tbl (42 g) Honey
1 large Egg
1/2 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
1/3 c Buttermilk  

  1. In a microwave safe container, microwave the butter until it is nearly melted.  Swirl the container until the residual heat melts all the butter & then set aside to cool slightly.  Preheat a Belgian waffle iron to the crispiest setting.  
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour & baking powder.  
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk the sugar, sea salt & freshly grated nutmeg. Add the slightly cooled melted butter. Stir in the honey, egg & vanilla bean paste & mix until combined.  Whisk in the buttermilk. 
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients & whisk just until combined, but without lumps.  
  5. Use a small scoop or a tablespoon to portion the batter onto the hot waffle iron.  Cook according to the waffle maker’s instructions.  
  6. Allow the finished doughnuts to cool slightly on a rack before dipping in glaze (recipe follow) or dusting with confectioners’ sugar.  Doughnuts are best eaten the day they are made, but any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container.   
Glaze
1/2 c Confectioners’ Sugar
1 Tbl milk or cream (or a mix of the two)
1/4 tsp Vanilla Bean paste 

  1. In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients. If it is too think, add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.  If the mixture is too runny, add a bit more powdered sugar.  
  2. Use immediately to drizzle or dunk the slightly cooled doughnuts.